Last evening three of us went to a concert. PJ stayed home with a babysitter. Our friend Varya runs a dance troupe (that we seem to have failed being a part of- not up to scratch with their immense skills). He troupe was performing last night.
The concert was actually run by the same University that I go to. It was run at the Music and Comedy theatre downtown.
At first we thought that her group would be the only thing we enjoyed, but it turns out we enjoyed many of the performances. Although my Russian still needs more work, I was encouraged by how much of the concert I could understand. It feels that fluency in understanding is closer and closer.
It was a great cultural lesson in understanding Russian youth culture. Musically the concert was a mix of- rap, jazz, blues, rock, pop, traditional folk, modern folk, indigenous Sakha, beatbox and alternative instrumentation. There was a comedy team that did two acts, and the obligatory poetry performance.
Some of the comedy was of course, a little crude, as comedy so often can be. Some of the musical performances were a little... comical for us. That is because the English language is just so hip right now in Russia. So some of the performances had to be in English. But it's funny listening to songs in English performed by Russians. Sometimes the accents can be so strong, and it just sounds so out of place. But even when one girl had quite a good accent, it was strange how it was still so hard to make out the words. A ten percent deviation still creates dissonance.
Aside from the Sakha dance group, I really liked some of the other performances. One guy came out and played a melodic percussion instrument that I have never heard before. It was quite dreamy music.
I really appreciated the traditional Russian folk song, the music is quite soulful and stirring.
A couple of girls came out and played a modern folk song. The chorus line went- "I'll be really lonesome without you Winter..." That may sound strange to an Australian who can not bear the thought of even once stepping into a Siberian Winter. But there is something peaceful and mesmerising about a Siberian Winter, the snow, the stillness, the frost that calms you. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that Summer is upon us, and have really been enjoying Spring (as I write this it is raining outside- I love rain, this never falls in the Winter); but I have already on a few occasions missed the snow and crisp air. So strangely enough I could relate to this song.
Anyone know the name of this melodic percussion instrument?
Traditional Russian folk music
Aikhal, Varya's Sakha dance troupe.
"I'll be really lonesome without you Winter."
The day in the life of a Russian soldier- beatbox style.
Calypse dance troupe.
"Bolshoi Otchotni Konsert" (Big Review Concert) to the music of "Let's get it started."
Abigail loved the glitter at the end of the concert, she was not the only little girl collecting it from the stage.









No comments:
Post a Comment