"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Maswrestling

Some years ago I watched a documentary in Australia. A writer decided to write a book about the hottest, coldest, wettest and driest places on earth. He called it "Going to Extremes." His publisher twisted his arm. Off to Yakutia in north eastern Siberia he went to a village called Oimyakon, in the Verkhoyansk mountains. On his journeys in Yakutia, among other things he participate in a Sakha sport called "maswrestling."  It looked like a lot of fun, and I have always wanted to try it ever since.
Last Saturday I got my chance and I was thrilled. Some technique would have helped. I did not realise I was not supposed to stand up, which is why I lost the second bout. (I should not have told myself mentally that I would lose. I think I expected it to be harder than what it was. I shall now mentally practice to win next year!)