"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Victory Day

Today is a public holiday in Russia to commemorate "Victory Day". I have spoken about Victory Day in the past, and my confusion at the apparent celebration of this event, considering that the war was a tragic event. Undoubtedly there is some confusion on my part because I don't understand the culture enough. I do think I have some insight though. The art below was on display at the University when I was registering our visas. It will help in part a little more to understand this important event in Russian history and culture.


Here's to 65 years of Victory!



We won! (Planting the Soviet flag in Berlin- before the western forces arrived.)



Fascist terror in the USSR. 26 600 000 victims of war. (The root meaning of the word victim in Russian is actually sacrifice- so this may imply willingness. This is a nuance that is hard to know.)



65 years of a great victory! I remember! I am proud! Our victory!



Nobody is forgotten. Nothing is forgotten.



Victory.



65 years of victory.



Your feat is immortal.

Some of these posters are more Soviet in feel. Some are decidedly post-Soviet. They don't all paint the events in the same light. Anyway, I will leave you to make some of your own interpretations. I know that my understanding of this important event in Russian society is deepening a little. It remains complex.

1 comment:

Sue-Ann said...

What an amazing collection of what I'd call neo-Soviet art. I remember commenting on this last year and recommending a great book on the development of the Victory Day parades and their evolving place in Russia's Soviet, post, and neo-Soviet cultures. It is indeed, very complex...and fascinating.