I better be careful not to bore you all with lots of linguistic detail. Classes have begun over the last few days. I am enjoying getting back into the sounds of language and their description. This is a little like a language in itself. It is some years since I have done any phonetic analysis, but it is all coming back to me. I forgot just how hard it is to describe vowels. If you don't believe me, just consider for a moment that Australian English has 20 vowels, not the 5 that you believe.
Both Melody and I have been a little frustrated that the assessment is not entirely clear for each of our subjects. It feels like information is being released to us on a trickle basis, day by day. I am keen to get started on my major essays, so I can get them out the way. Six weeks is a short time, so I don't want to leave them too long.
Our language learning sessions started today. We are studying the theory of language acquisition. My problem is that certain methods are being held up as the ideal. Some of these methods have serious drawbacks when you consider that there are many obstacles in the real world. For these methods to be successful there would need to be a perfect scenario with no shortcomings. We have begin learning Urdu, the national language of Pakistan, in a group of 4 with a native speaker. Kamran was a really nice guy. I am sure learning Urdu will be fun.
I will likely do my research assignment on a plan for learning Evenki, so long as I can find enough resources.
The last couple days have been quite hot here in Melbourne. We have greatly enjoyed swimming at a friends pool after classes, to cool ourselves down and then get back into study mode in the evening.
For those of you who have been praying for Abigail, thank you, and praise God. Abigail has been greatly enjoying her child care this week. It has been a great opportunity for her to socialise. We have seen her confidence sky rocket in a number of areas in a few short days. We are confident she will have a blast at 3 year old kinder when it starts in February.
"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Pleased to hear that Abigail seesm settled and that you are enjoying the delights of warm weather as well as new challenges. Happy studying - always more difficult I find when the weather is good....
Post a Comment