"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Melbourne we have a problem

It's the worst heat wave in 101 years. I haven't kept count, mostly because my brain has stopped working. I just know that we have already had tonnes of 35+ weather this January. Apparently that was not hot enough, so now we are into the 40s. Today was the third day in a row in the 40s. Yesterday was 43 and today 44. I have actually decided that I will not fight this any longer or I will just go mad. I have to give into the heat and try to adjust. Still that doesn't make it easy. We don't have air conditioning. We have fans inside, but the air temperature in our flat is now 33 degrees. I went swimming again today, but the water didn't feel quite as cool as before.

The truth be told, Melbourne isn't set up to handle this kind of weather for a long stretch of time. This 'aint Houston or Phoenix friends. Some people have air conditioning, but by no means do all. The electricity grid is not keeping up. The power companies have already been doing rolling stoppages so that the system does not overload. There were 200 train cancellations yesterday, I didn't hear a count for today. The ice cream machine was broken at Mc Donalds today, it was so icy cold yesterday that I was really disappointed today. This weather is forecast to continue for at least the next week. The worst thing would be if the bushfires start, and for the first time in my life, we are now living in a bushfire zone.

And finally, there is the argument about global warming. Apparently this is clinching proof. But there were conditions just like this 100 years ago. Yes I am a skeptic. Do we really have enough evidence, or are we simply trusting in ourselves too much and not enough in God?

No comments: