"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spring?


Spring?
What does spring time mean to you?
Usually it is my favourite season of the year. I love waking up in October and November when the sun is brighter, the air is fresher and crisper, when I can smell the flowers and hear the birds singing. Spring is usually my favourite time of the year. Temperatures in the low 20s are perfect for my disposition and make me feel warm and content, yet not sapped dry like Summer can do.
Ahhh, Spring.
Not here though. This 'aint Spring. We are reaching the end of March now. The temperature is +3 degrees. So that means the snow is melting. It has been hovering around zero for a couple weeks now. This Spring is moving so slowly. The snow is turning to slush. Watch out, you might put your foot into an icy trap. Watch out again, the dog turds are rising to the surface from months of disregarding dog owners.
Ahhh, Spring.
Never fear, we jump on the plane next week to attend our Regional European conference in Turkey. We will take the opportunity for two weeks holiday near Ephesus. Temperatures there are currently 17 to 20 degrees. I know. you Melburnians are saying (after your stinking hot and dry Summer) that is not warm. But coming off a Siberian Winter I am really looking forward to low 20s. At least it will actually feel like Spring, my favourite season of the year. And, coming off Winter here, I'm heading straight for the beach.
Ahhh, Spring.
Where is the colour? Sometimes I ask the same question in Summer here. The most colourful things are the billboard advertisements. In Australia, I rue the mass advertisements of a commercial age, here I find them oddly familiar and therefore comforting. The rest of the urban landscape is a shell of life on a post-apocalyptic landscape.
Bring on Spring. The real thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Paul, this post was fun! We are even getting a little rain down here now after almost zero for months.

Nathan of Oz