"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cree nation Pow Wow

While swimming at Glenburn Lake on Saturday we noted that the majority of the people there were indigenous Cree. We also noted that it would be a great place to meet people if we were actively seeking to share the gospel with the Cree.

PJ was playing with a little boy. I tried to make eye contact with one of the family to start a conversation. But nobody would meet my eye and I could not connect with them. I was disappointed.

Later as we ate our barbecue dinner at a picnic table, a woman came and sat down with us. She was very friendly and we chatted with her for a long time. This Cree woman invited us to come to a Pow Wow. She acknowledged that previously she only would have related to her own people, but decided to make a change. We were certainly glad that she took the time to talk with us. (* I am writing this on August 3rd and I have forgotten her name.)

I have a heart that all nations would be able to worship the Lord in their own cultural style and music. As I listened to the drumming circles I was touched with tears as I imagined this. I don't know how many of these people are believers or not. The opening ceremony did have a prayer to thank the Creator. It was in Cree. This has to be a positive thing, even if there are gaps in their understanding of Creator God.

Take a listen to a drumming circle. Many circles performed, and honestly they sounded really similar to me, but then that just shows how much of an outside I am.



I hope you enjoy some of the very elaborate costumes. A Pow Wow is a dancing competition that runs for a few days. We were there for the "Grand Entry", which took about 2 hours in all. It was a very hot day, so we were grateful for the big tent structure that Gold Eagle put up.

I enjoyed chatting with a couple of older men, letting them know how much I appreciate their culture and how much the Great Spirit loves them and sent his son Jesus for them. I also asked for forgiveness on behalf of all Europeans for the way we have treated them in the past. This was well very well received and forgiveness was freely given. Praises to God.








No comments: