I mentioned on my blog last week that Russians remember their loved ones on numerous occasions after their passing. I consider this to be a very healthy practice. In the west once a funeral has passed people are almost left on their own to do their grieving in solitude.
My neighbour knocked on my door yesterday and told me they were getting together at her place, and that I was invited, if I could make it. I had a class to go to, and again Melody was not home at that direct time. I went off to my class and wondered if I would have time to step in to her house before then going out again in the evening to another pre-planned event.
I counted to myself and thought that this was not nine days after Mikhail's death. But it was the ninth day. It turns out that my class was canceled due to my teacher being caught in one of Krasnoyarsk's infamous traffic jams. I came home about 4:30. I told Melody that I was stepping into Lydia Petrovna's place for a little while. When I arrived there the table was all set out, and there were some guests there. There were enough seats exactly for everyone there, including me. They started a few minutes after I arrived. Considering I was not even sure if I could go, this seemed to be an ordained set of events that I was again able to be there at precisely the needed time.
The meal was very similar to the funeral meal I was at earlier in the year. One of the guests, a friend of Mikhail was asked to say some words. He stood up, our glasses were all charged with vodka. The man gave his speech and we all drank our shot. We then sat in silence for a while. I realised that I did not need to sit there in silence the whole time. I asked if I could speak. I stood up and everyone's glasses were refilled with vodka.
I did not know Mikhail very well. But what was clear to me is that you (Lidia Petrovna his wife) loved him very much, and that he loved you very much. It is also clear to me that he has eternal life, is with God now, who also loves him very much. He loves us all very much. We have a wonderful saviour.
We all drank our vodka.
I sat there for a little while longer, another person made a speech, we drank again. I then excused myself and asked them to forgive me for leaving.
I found it very therapeutic to speak. As I said, I did not know Mikhail very well, but I was there at his death. Being allowed the chance to speak really gave me some closure on what had been an intense experience in my life.
Today, we were at our local skating rink and I saw Lydia's daughter there with her kids. We chatted for a little while. I told her we would look in on her mum, which she was appreciative to hear. It seems God has opened a door into this family's life. We always like to be obedient and go through the doors that he opens. I know that God's love will continue to shine.
My neighbour knocked on my door yesterday and told me they were getting together at her place, and that I was invited, if I could make it. I had a class to go to, and again Melody was not home at that direct time. I went off to my class and wondered if I would have time to step in to her house before then going out again in the evening to another pre-planned event.
I counted to myself and thought that this was not nine days after Mikhail's death. But it was the ninth day. It turns out that my class was canceled due to my teacher being caught in one of Krasnoyarsk's infamous traffic jams. I came home about 4:30. I told Melody that I was stepping into Lydia Petrovna's place for a little while. When I arrived there the table was all set out, and there were some guests there. There were enough seats exactly for everyone there, including me. They started a few minutes after I arrived. Considering I was not even sure if I could go, this seemed to be an ordained set of events that I was again able to be there at precisely the needed time.
The meal was very similar to the funeral meal I was at earlier in the year. One of the guests, a friend of Mikhail was asked to say some words. He stood up, our glasses were all charged with vodka. The man gave his speech and we all drank our shot. We then sat in silence for a while. I realised that I did not need to sit there in silence the whole time. I asked if I could speak. I stood up and everyone's glasses were refilled with vodka.
I did not know Mikhail very well. But what was clear to me is that you (Lidia Petrovna his wife) loved him very much, and that he loved you very much. It is also clear to me that he has eternal life, is with God now, who also loves him very much. He loves us all very much. We have a wonderful saviour.
We all drank our vodka.
I sat there for a little while longer, another person made a speech, we drank again. I then excused myself and asked them to forgive me for leaving.
I found it very therapeutic to speak. As I said, I did not know Mikhail very well, but I was there at his death. Being allowed the chance to speak really gave me some closure on what had been an intense experience in my life.
Today, we were at our local skating rink and I saw Lydia's daughter there with her kids. We chatted for a little while. I told her we would look in on her mum, which she was appreciative to hear. It seems God has opened a door into this family's life. We always like to be obedient and go through the doors that he opens. I know that God's love will continue to shine.
No comments:
Post a Comment