"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Great Ocean Road

I confess, I've been getting a little bit bored with Australia. That probably sounds bad to my friends and family who live here. The landscape seems dull to me. The funny thing about that, is that the landscape was one of the things I missed the most when living in Russia. Ahh, human nature. Anyway, I've just been trying to get on with day to day life. I am grateful for our place that we live in, the chance to improve our linguistic skills before returning to Russia, our car that we drive, all of our provisions that God has blessed us with.
This week we had another break from classes After getting up to date on some of our subjects we went away for a few days. This was a freedom we knew nothing of in Russia, so I had better remember to be grateful for that too. Melody wanted to see the Great Ocean road. (She has seen it 2 1/2 times before). I wasn't so keen to drive the whole thing, so we skipped to the second half via the inland highway. The second half is far better in my opinion.

Photo gallery:

"Do you have room for me in your suitcase?"



The 'Twelve Apostles' by sunset. The coastline is gradually washed away, leaving these limestone stacks. The name reminds me of a time in Australia's history when Christianity was more prominent.



"Look at my seat."




This was formerly called the London Bridge. When I was a kid we were allowed to walk on to the island over the land bridge. The land bridge collapsed on January 15, 1990. The whole of the Great Ocean Road experience is a lot more sanitised as a result now, with fences to keep people away from the edge. I must admit I miss a simpler world, even if it was a little more dangerous.


"Pretty windy eh?"


'The arch.'


'The Grotto.' This small cave has been entirely formed by waves.


'The bay of martyrs.' Probably named because they look like the apostles, but they are much shorter and therefore appear to have fallen down.


A warning to tourists to drive on the correct side of the road. But how did they get this far without observing this rather obvious fact?


The end of the Great Ocean Road is the picturesque town of Port Campbell.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Looks like you had a great family mini holiday.

Nathan Wilson said...

Childers Cove, just outside Warrnambool is often touted as the 'official' end - at least for the bus tours. I'm glad you enjoyed it!