Studies are going really well. We are wading through Phonology (the sound systems of languages), Grammar (syntax and morphological rules and concepts for all the world's languages- crazy I know), Sociolinguistics, Ethnography and Literacy. We are both really enjoying Phonology and Grammar and feel we are becoming good technical linguists which will stand us in good stead with Siberian languages.
Literacy has been controversial for us. A couple years back we read a paper from the Lausanne Conference in 2004 called "Making disciples of oral learners." It helped us to see that many peoples of the world do not engage with a literate approach, even if they can read and write. So it can be quite paternal and forceful to assume that they must be literate to receive the gospel fully. We are moving away from this approach in our lives. We have been wrestling with these concepts for a couple years now. I will likely write a full essay on this soon on In One Ear. I will let you know when I do.
We are still patiently waiting for Melody's citizenship to be processed. We applied back in December. It was supposed to take three months but it has been four now. The other day we called to find out what is happening. Hopefully we will get an answer this week. Please pray that Melody's Australian citizenship will come through soon. It is one of the main reasons we are here this year along with our Linguistic and Translation studies.
Adjustment to life in Australia is about as complete as I will allow for myself. We are studying with a number of international students, so we are not entirely immersed in Australian culture. Sometimes I lament this, and at other times, I realise it will make departure easier for us after studies are finished.
But there are some things that make me feel very Australian, and Aussie Rules Footy is definitely one of them. I have been to a few games this year. Things started out pretty badly for my team, the Richmond Tigers, but in the second game they were a different team. They narrowly lost to the best team in the competition at their home ground, so I have renewed hope for Richmond this year.
The game last weekend was especially fun, because my cousin (or is he my brother?!) was in town for the weekend from Japan. The game was played in Geelong and had a distinctly nostalgic and suburban feel about it. I loved standing in the outer with other working class people. I realise that I am more working class than I know (long story about my roots). It was great to be able to yell and feel like the players could hear me. It's just too professional at the stadiums in Melbourne now.
Photo gallery:
Melbourne has changed a lot. There is now a place called Federation Square opposite the Flinders Street train station. It's quite modern. Somehow it makes the train station and the cathedral look old. There is a whole new section called the Docklands, that I still have not even seen. I can't keep up, and feel like a stranger in my home town.



Footy at Kardinia Park in front of 28 000. We were allowed to go on the ground after the game to kick the ball, something which is long gone at the MCG.

Tim and I had a great time. I haven't felt so Australian in a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment