"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
"Reverse Geographic Shock"
I'm online for 5 minutes, so I thought I would say a quick hello. The weather is starting to warm up in Australia now. We have had a few hot days. Now you would think that I am happy about having two Summers in a row, and in the long run I probably will be. But I have to admit that I am really ready for Winter time and wondering where it is. I'm all confused. I think it is normal to experience the cycle of the seasons. My body clock is set on the northern hemisphere, and more particularly expects there to be snow right about now. There is something rather special about the first fall of snow. Waiting over two years for Winter to come some how just feels wrong. Add to this the landscape shock I have been experiencing (all these really weird looking gum and eucalyptus trees everywhere) and you can see that "Reverse Geographic Shock" is something to be reckoned with.
Labels:
Australia,
Reverse Culture Shock
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ah, yes...we work so hard to be accustomed to new things and then we really are accustomed to them before we even realise it! I find myself really finding pleasure in the soft northern light, so different from Australia. But it's all one planet, it's all beautiful, it's all local, and offers rich contentment if we can stop and listen and simply be in the place where we are...
Such wisdom Sue-Ann :)
Of course, it just takes some adjusting that's all.
Post a Comment