"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Woo hoo!

Woo hoo! Yeah, yeah. Twelve months and one day after arriving to live in this vast county o' Russia, I have passed my University level Russian language entrance exams. Я сдал мои екзамены. (Ya sdal moiy exameniy- I passed my exams). I have to say that I am very happy and relieved too. I feel like I am not an imposter in this land, I won't have my visa revoked and that I am allowed to keep living here! I also feel like that I will get this language down pat at some stage. Did you know that they say it takes 7 years to reach "fluency" (what a fluid concept) in the Russian language, but about 2 years in Spanish.

Anyway, that's my celebration for the day.

4 comments:

Janice said...

wonderful! So glad thats behind you now. Not that we didn't expect you to do well but its good to have the proof.

Anonymous said...

Pasha, just one quick remark - uyou never say "Я сдал МОИ экзамены" ("Я люблю МОЮ пиццу") in Russian - just "Я сдал экзамены" ("Мне нравится пицца"). Tha fact that the exams are YOUR's is something assumed (as is pizza, although there may be an occasion when you love somebody else's pizza, or pass someone else's exams) - just like the word "is" is never, or nearly never is translated into Russian. However, you can ask "Ты сдал СВОИ экзамены?", although most commonly people would simply ask: "Ты сдал экзамены?" Well that's my little correction.
But, most iumportantly, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You will speak as a Russian in no time!

Pasha said...

Спасибо Костик! Ты так добры. Скоро будет правилно как ты написал. Желаю так мы увидимся летом?

Nathan Wilson said...

Paul, I heartily agree with Kostya on the CONGRATULATIONS!

G'Day Kostya! No I'm not married and still haven't left Australia.