"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The mystery unravels

Last year shortly after we arrived I lamented the massacre of many tall trees in the common area near our building. I still lament them being cut in half, as they provide beauty and shade in the Summer time. But I do have to admit, that I am now beginning to understand the reasons behind their demise. We have suspected that the trees could be susceptible to disease. The white substance at the bottom of the tree could be to prevent against disease. Whether it is effective or not is another question. When ever there is a bad storm some branches seem to fall.

Yesterday we had some strong winds, but I would not call it a strong storm. This tree snapped off at its roots. This can only mean that the roots were weak. Many of them did not come out of the ground.

It made an almighty crash, followed by the sound of a car alarm. So I went outside to investigate, as did many others.

The owner of this car, would be feeling quite unlucky now. I guess that the roof could be repairable. As I understand it, comprehensive insurance is only available on newer cars. I met the driver of another car, quite close by who was very relieved it was not his car.

3 comments:

Martin said...

Looks like a direct hit! My guess is that if you can afford a car like that in Russia, then the money to repair it won't be a problem.

Pasha said...

Hmmm, that is possible, but not necessarily true. I wonder how much it would cost to repair a roof though.

Unknown said...

Roof should pop back out - its a single sheet of metal right?

This happened to my Dad's car when a tornado hit a small town we lived in on the central NSW plains. The tree split in half & the car copped it. No damage though as the roof popped right out. The Shop roof from across the road that set off to explore the world was not so blessed.