
While in Canada I was standing in the shower talking to God one day. I had an idea to start a cultural club here in Siberia with students from the indigenous peoples. As I talked about the idea with God he let me know that it might not be a good idea. "Students may want to do their cultural dances, which will be involved with calling up spirits." Of course I would not wish to encourage such a thing. In some of the documentaries we have about Siberia there are people playing different sports and games which are unique to their own cultures. God impressed upon me, "why don't you start a sports club."
A sports club would be a good place to emphasise indigenous cultures in a safe and healthy way. Melody's grandparents lived and worked among the Inuit people in arctic Canada. The Inuit people have a very similar culture to the Siberian peoples. It has been explained to me that many of the sports and games are simply for a show of physical strength, i.e "I am a good hunter and can provide for my people." Therefore the roots of sports are safe.
As an Aussie I will try my hand at any and all sports. I have shared this idea with the leaders of our chch and also with some of the Tuvan guys and a Yakut woman. They all thought that it would be a wonderful idea. Of course I need to get to know these people better before we can get such an idea off the ground, as I would most definitely need their help to do so.
We live very close to a university campus and to student domitories. There is also a sports complex only a few minutes walk from our place. This would be an ideal place to get an Indigenous Sports Club going. It would also be an ideal environment to make friendships and to begin to share faith. This would make a good foundation to invite people to other events, activities and gatherings from.
I am encouraged that everyone I have shared the idea with likes it, especially the indigenous peoples I have met. Please pr-y that it mat happen in God's timing and that he would open the doors.
1 comment:
Hey Pasha,
I read your comments on Unedited Ravings regarding the whole thing of 'good' buddists and atheists etc. I really appreciate that you broke it all down to Christ. This is the second time that I have found someone from outside N.A. who doesn't have that foggy, wishy-washy worldview. Along with that I see a deep compassion and conviction in you. I hope to visit your blog more often.
Cheers
Post a Comment