We have some visitors from the Altai at the moment. Tonia is from Saskatoon, the closest city to Melody's home town. Her husband Alexei is Russian. They were here with us for New Years. We continued our Christmas celebrations, playing some carols while we ate our roast meal. Cranberry sauce made from brusnika berries is so much yummier than klukva berries (in my opinion).
It's been pretty cold again lately. Yesterday everything was closed anyway, so we didn't bother to take our guests out on the town. We tried to take them to the Vineyard church today, but when we got there it wasn't even on!
Today was a relatively balmy -31. This was a lot better than the -41 previously forecast. Tonia from Saskatchewan was complaining about how cold it was. I surprised myself, it didn't feel as cold as we have had recently. My old quip came out, "this isn't cold, I'll show you cold!" I must be going crazy. The human body can adapt to almost anything. I only felt a little cold today. Weird.
So we sat in the New York Cafe and drank lattes instead. I told the story of the tree of good and evil. This was the same story that I shared with our Sakha friends the other night. We enjoyed our discussions about this story on both occasions.
Thank God for the Krasnoyarsk hotel, where we could get the kids warmed up, when the cafe was still closed at 11:30 am. That hotel has been a saving grace through out all the many years I have visited and then lived in Krasnoyarsk. I remember when I first visited this city in 1998 and it felt like one of the only western oasises.
The tallest New Years (they don't really celebrate Christmas that much in Russia) tree in all of Russia is in Krasnoyarsk.
Sakha friends visited the other night.
The Yenisey river does not freeze over because of the hydro electric power station upstream. It stays at +4C in Winter. When it gets really cold the river becomes a fog factory.








1 comment:
oh, I forgot all about the coins in the ice sculptures. They actually look good on the hare!
Post a Comment