This is a short audio clip from an Evenki lesson in October. Here's the transcription:
The horse gallops
The fox steals
The rabbit hops
The wolf hunts
The bear sleeps through the Winter
The squirrel lives in the trees
The reindeer lives / gives life
We elicited this list from a set of pics of northern animals and asked Katya what each animal (typically) does. Her list is revealing not just language-wise but also culturally revealing. Hope you enjoy it. PS. The introductions are done by Melody in Russian.
3 comments:
really cool. I can really hear the subject and verb constructs. Great set of phrases to do so. Do you have something similar with plurals so you can hear how/if that changes the verb construct? I'd love to hear some of your other recordings. How exciting!!
And a great way of learning a language. I do continue to be impressed by your ability to do this only orally though. I have come to realise how visual I am, and already being a literate person, even though I am trying NOT to, I can't but help formulate approximated pronunciation in English orthography. I see it as I listen, and I find it distracting because I know it's not accurate. How do you deal with this type of issue?
cool! Evenki for 'lives'
yes, very cool. I can really hear the patterns too, but agree with Lisette that I would totally need to see it written down, or would at least have to write it down somehow to remember it. Very musical languages.
Post a Comment