"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, June 07, 2010

First day back at Siberian Federal University


After nearly a month in country, I had my first day back as a student today.  It's fine by me that I have waited this long.  It's actually been perfect to have time to settle in first.  But I am more than happy to get back into things.
Today I sat an exam, to give the teachers an indication of my current Russian abilities.  From all appearances it appeared to be the same kind of exam I sat back in May 2007.  It has five parts- grammar, reading, writing, listening and conversation.  There is a huge gap between the first and second level exams for Russian as a foreigner.  I already passed the first level back in 2007 with an average in the high 80s.
The exam today was pretty easy for me- but we will see if I was that right when I get the results tomorrow.  I know I made some mistakes, which is a good thing as it will show the teachers a starting point for what I need to work on.
I have a feeling that I will be doing a lot of Russian study this Summer.  We don't know a lot of indigenous people in the city yet, although we have been meeting some, so it will take a while before we get busier.  Although too busy, is never a good thing.  It's better to be available for when people need you.  That's not a big danger though as Russian culture is very light on scheduling things in.
Anyway, I need to study the language more.  I want to reach the stage where I can basically fit into society in a very functional way, and to relate to people in a deep way.  Certainly I am a fair way down the scale on both counts, but I also have a long way to go.  It's a very hard thing to measure.
Students are finished their tuition, but some of them still have exams.

This cafe is closed for the Summer, and some students are using it as a study area.

It's almost strange to be at Uni on such a nice Summer's day.



My walk home after classes.  More than once I have told God how much I like trees.  Where we live in Novosibirsk there were hardly any.  There's next to none in Tuva.  Isn't he so good to give us such a nice forest to live in?

1 comment:

Sue-Ann said...

I think it will be hard to study during the lovely short summer, but I'm glad for you that the uni is so clean and nice and that the walk is so pleasant. All the best with it all - such a fantastic opportunity for you.