"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Reasons to celebrate

The year is fast drawing to a close. We have enjoyed our time studying at EQUIP, and know we will look back with fond memories on our time of learning in Kangaroo Ground, even if it has not all been plain sailing. I often wonder how much people understand about what we have been studying, and the work that we want to do among indigenous peoples in Siberia, to help them maintain and revitalise their languages, to bring them the message of Jesus in clear tones that they understand in their own cultural context. If you feel you have questions please send them our way, we are always happy to explain more.

We came to Australia in October 2008 with three major goals, before returning to Russia.
1) Undertake Linguistics and Bible Translation at SIL EQUIP.
2) Gain Melody's Australian citizenship.
3) Have another baby (Lord willing).

We have been so happy that everything is working out so well.

Melody is now an Aussie!



It's been six years since Melody came to live in Australia, first as a temporary resident, then a permanent resident in 2005, and now finally a citizen in 2009. We started the application process in October last year, so we were relieved that it finally came through. I'll let Melody speak for herself about this event and what it means to her in the words of her speech that she gave in front of friends and family at a restaurant afterwards:

"The first day I arrived in Australia I came as a tourist, in February 2002. Paul made sure that that month included all of the dearly loved australian icons. My first cricket match, and footy game, complete of course, with a " dead horse and dog's eye". We went to Healsville to see all the animals, we toured the Dandenongs and the Great Ocean Road. Sadly, I turned down my first chance at a vegemite sandwich. But more on that later...

Paul has continued my unofficial australian immigration preparation throughout our dating and marriage periodically quizzing me on topics like Donald Bradman, convict settlement, the complete history of the different codes of football played in this country, ANZAC day, John Williamson songs, Ned Kelly, the 1983 America's cup etc. Let me assure you, my knowledge is extensive. By the time it came for my citizenship test, it was a breeze!

My immigration to Australia has not been as straight forward as some. We have spent 2 years overseas in Russia since I got my permanent residence, which has delayed my developement of a true blue Aussie accent. (special thanks to the SIL phonetics department, to Elyse and to Paul for help with this speech!)

Even while in Russia my Australian education continued as I learned how to fill my husband's sentimental needs for Australian nostalgia. I can now bake ANZAC biscuits, and make lamingtons from scratch, I know how to make both meat pies and sausage rolls, and have thrown more than one grand final party. I have even been to Galipolli. I have recently taken to eating vegemite sandwiches! Seriously, but maybe that can be blamed on the pregnancy.

This year we came back to Australia with three purposes in mind. This baby, the Bible translation course, and completion of my citizenship. I am happy to have reached this point, and I feel honoured that you have come tonight to help me celebrate.

When Kevin Rudd made his sorry speech in February 2008, the ceremony began with a Welcome to Country by Aboriginal elders. For the first time Parliament was opened and officially welcomed by the traditional custodians of the land. In doing so the Aboriginal nations represented welcomed the Australian public and it's government to this land, as immigrants, and as people who belong here.

Today I have been welcomed by the Australian government, and by you, to this land as an immigrant, and as someone who belongs. I don't take this lightly. I am proud, and grateful. I am honoured that the title "Australian" has been applied to me today and that my descendents will be counted australians. I feel welcomed by you as an equal citizen, as I know you in turn have been welcomed by the people who were here before your ancestors arrived.

I personally would like to pass along this welcome to the many immigrants, refugees, and asylm seekers who are desperate to join our nation. In the spirit of the second verse of Advance Australia Fair, I acknowledge that there is indeed boundless plains to share, and that none of us has more right to this place then any of them.

Going back to Russia this time as an Australian its hard to measure how much will have changed within me. Will I share in my husband's sentimental longing for things of home from here? I think I will. We have grown accustomed to kangaroo meat, (much healthier and tastier than beef) we've shared together in the disapointments of watching Richmond's ordinary form this season. We've grieved with our nation over the devistating bushfires this past summer, and we have sought the Lord's face in praying for this nation, and for its people.

Today, I am an Australian. Thank-you for welcoming me."




We understand that it may be a little confusing for Canadians as to why Melody has become an Australian citizen. Melody is as Canadian as always. It has been very special for me, that Melody has chosen to share my Australian identity. It is possible to have more than one identity, something which we have already learnt through our life in Russia. One day, I would hope to be a Canadian too, if we were ever to live long enough in Canada. The other reason that Melody has become a citizen, is so that we always have a country to go to. If we were ever to lose our visas in Russia, we would hate to be split up as a family. It would have been too difficult to maintain Melody's residency in Australia, being out of the country so much.

Graduation ceremony



On Friday Melody graduated with a Diploma of Language Description and Development. Paul graduated with a Graduate Diploma of Language Description and Development. And if I'm not a big enough sucker, I will continue part time study next year by correspondence on the internet. I will undertake a Master of Applied Linguistics through Monash University, taking one subject per semester, hoping to eventually complete a Phd.


Some post-graduation celebration together at the Samson Hill winery in Kangaroo Ground.


2 comments:

Sue-Ann said...

Really good to catch up on your news! Congratulations - for all three things! A very lovely speech, Melody. May the coming months be a time of peace and joy for you all.

Pete said...

Hey there. Someone referred me to your site as my fam and I are aiming to be living in Novosibirsk in mid 2011 for a few years. Good blog. Enjoyed what I have read so far. We are looking to serve with OM. We were in Kazakhstan for a short time in 2009 and now feel God calling us to the wonderful land of Russia.