The fires are over now. I wanted to have a look at the burnt out forest, but it seems I am still a little too early. The Police at the road block said the roads into the King Lake area should open up around a week from now. By road King Lake is 23 kms north from us, and certainly less as the crow flies. Fifteen kms drive from home we reached the edge of the burnt forest, and were able to have a little look at it. The police said it would be ok to drive up a side road to the left. As we drove up the hill we noticed that the fire had come very close to some houses. Then we noticed a couple of piles of rubble. Needless to say, I did not take any photos of rubble, I didn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
We hope to go for a drive again in a week or so and get up to King Lake, to encourage the shop keepers there and the locals, anyway possible. I have no idea whether people will want to be left alone or want to talk. But I would like to go and find out anyway.

"We love you CFA." The CFA is the Country Fire Authority- the majority made up of volunteers, although there are some professionals as well. They were assisted by many firefighters from interstate, and from USA, Canada and New Zealand.


No comments:
Post a Comment