On Friday November 24th our neighbour Mikhail (an old man died). I was there with him and his wife when he died. I had momentarily finished reading scriptures to him and praying with him. I had only just finished telling him that Jesus was waiting for him, when he died. It was a very unexpected, heavy yet hopeful experience.
I had no doubt that my presence was a blessing to Lydia Petrovna, his wife. She had been caring for him for years. He was sick with either dementia or alzheimer's. It seemed that the burden of responsibility had been lifted from her, even though she obviously mourned his loss. At his funeral she was able to comfortably speak with friends.
Lydia Petrovna invited me to come to the nine day memorial meal. I said a few words. It felt strange, hardly knowing the family at all, yet they seemed to value my presence. Melody and I intended to get to know Lydia Petrovna more and thought that perhaps she might enjoy the sounds of little kids visiting at her apartment. We gave her a new year's gift and promised to catch up for tea with her soon.
Yesterday that proved to be an impossibility. Her daughter knocked on her door to inform us that her mum had died. Melody came inside and told me. I was quite shocked. This was very unexpected. Lydia Petrovna seemed to be quite healthy and enjoying her grandchildren. She seemed to have much to live for still. I went straight over to her flat and met with her daughters and son. I prayed with them that the Lord would give them peace and strength. They asked me to come to the funeral today.
Today is PJ's birthday and we had already planned a party for him. I dropped off Abigail at art school at 9:30. I tried to buy flowers but the flower shop was not opening until 10am. I made it to their place at 9:55. I sat there for ten minutes praying for the family and for Lydia Petrovna before they took the casket down stairs and outside. At -35 I watched them load her casket into a van and drive away. I went to pick up Abigail from art school and then came home to clean up for PJ's birthday at 12.
It's a little confusing, and I am sure very confusing for the family. Lydia Petrovna died from a blood clot, completely unexpectedly. I do wonder if it was connected to mourning for her husband. Through all of this I believe that God opened a door into this family's life. And while I thought that it was because God wanted us to know Lydia Petrovna, I can see clearly that he wanted to bring his message of love to both of them before they both died. I have complete hope that they received Jesus' gift of salvation.
2 comments:
what a shock.
Interesting that the daughters came to tell you right away
Imagine how much of a shock it seems to them.
and you just have to go on with life, your stuff and let Jesus shine through when ever and how ever He wills. I will pray for you:)
you are doing a wonderful work in that community and family. I will continue to hold you up in prayer and want to encourage you in the fruit of your labor is not seen in this life yet. Rejoice that He has made me glad and I cry out to him, he is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, my stronghold, his ever presence, help in time of need. You and your family are blessings to us for sharing the gospel message cross the distances. and we love you too:)
Post a Comment