The Sayanskoe Kaltso (Sayan Ring) festival is now in its 8th year. In the first year around 10 000 people turned out over the three day festival. Last year 35 000 people went. I don't know what the numbers were this year. Friday was certainly quieter, being a work day. On Saturday the "city of masters" where everybody was selling their works of art, was completely packed.
Walking around the "city of masters" with Alona and Katya, on Friday.
A group of Sakha kids from Yakutia presented on the small stage on Friday afternoon.
Some of them played the "khomus" (a mouth harp- which I can play too.)
Some of them played a Sakha violin.
After the performance, the adult leading the group showed a few people how to play the khomus. She showed me a few tips that may help me play better.
Yura demonstrating how to use the lasoo, or "mout" in Russian.
There was a story telling yurt. This is great in concept. I value people presenting in their original language. The session had a couple of downfalls though. The story telling was not translated into Russian at all, which made it impossible to understand. Even when a short explanation was given in Russian, the sound checking from the main stage was completely drowning out the story telling performance. After about 20 mins I gave up and left. I decided to go back and spend time with the Evenki.
This young Tuvan guy is throat singing to modern style dance music.







1 comment:
I remember hearing you playing the Khomus (mouth harp). Keep it up so that we can hear you play when we meet again.
I enjoy seeing the various clothes (designs) and culture.
Post a Comment