"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring of Water, and another Banya (sauna) story

Spring progresses. As I said, my theory is that it all has to do with the height of the sun in the sky. March 21st has come now. We have well and truly hit Spring, with a number of nice sunny days around +8/ +10. This has caused lots of melting. When I have been for a run a few times recently my feet have been getting quite wet!

For the nerds:
As we are at 56 degrees north from the equator, the sun reaches a 34 degree height in the sky at the equinox (yet only 10 degrees at the Winter solstice). By contrast the Saskatoon sun reaches 38 degrees at the March Spring Equinox; the Melbourne sun is at 53 degrees from the horizon. (The Melbourne sun never gets higher than 76.5 degrees, even at the height of Summer, the Krasnoyarsk sun will reach 57.5 degrees.)

Here's some photos to document Spring for you. Skiing is pretty much over, or is it? It's snowing again today, but it's +2 so I don't expect it to hang around for long.


Don't step in this puddle! Yes it's freezing over at the end of the day.

Would somebody clear this road please when it is slushy before it freezes over again? It's almost impossible to drive on (not that I have a car!).
 I'm waiting for the melt to happen and then I hope to get people together for some games of Australian Football. I have been asking people that I meet to gauge interest. I'm getting a bit of a list. I have no idea how it will go. I found a soccer field that we can hopefully play on (I don't know how many other people will be using it and when.)
The nicest view from the soccer field.

The field is still mostly frozen puddles.

Still, the footmarks are where I went for a run yesterday.

Can't be too keen to start, as this would be mucky and wet!

Walking through the forest can be hard at the moment too. Puddle dodging skills are necessary.

I have a doozy of a banya story to tell, and I can't even write about it on this blog. If you want to know then you will have to bribe me to share it privately with you!
The banks of the Yenisey River.
The banya house (Russian sauna).
The steps come right down out of the banya to the water.
It had a bit of a maritime feel on an overcast day.

No comments: