"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Flus, doctors and dentists.

So a flu epidemic has been sweeping Russia. Everyone in our little family got it. It started out with PJ getting a temp of 39.4, which gave us a bit of a scare. We actually called the doctor round to our place that evening through the emergency service. It was simple enough to use, and there was nothing to be scared of. Certainly in the past we would have strayed from using this service. (Although we should only do so when really necessary.)
Following PJ's sickness, Abigail was next, then Melody, then me. All up it has taken us about two weeks to recover. We all got it bad. We had all of the symptoms, aching bones, deep coughs, ear ache; the kids even threw up on a few occasions.
The worst thing about the sickness was that it smashed our fragile schedule apart again. It seems that when ever we get a schedule going, something tears it down again. Without a solid schedule it is hard to maintain motivation to get projects going. Such projects that will not happen unless we make them happen. I really hope we can get back into the swing of things and feel motivated about life, so that we can do something useful and productive.
At the beginning of the two weeks of being sick, a bit of my tooth broke off. I am not sure if it broke off because there was already a bad hole, or if it was an old filling that broke off. I put off doing something about it while I was sick. Who wants to go to the dentist anyway? Finally this week I could not put it off any longer.
There is a dentist's surgery in the next building over, just a couple minutes walk away. I ventured in there on Thursday and was given an appointment later that afternoon. I climbed into the dentist's chair and the dentist told me I had one really bad tooth and a few other minor problems. She started work, and it wasn't until the end of the first session that I realised the damage. I had received a root canal.
Normally going to the dentist in Australia is a case of severe punishment. If one's teeth are not perfect then one can expect a cruel chastisement from the greedy professional in their white coat. The last time I went to the dentist in Australia I was given all sorts of threats and warned that I would be up for multiple thousands of dollars of work unless I gave my teeth close scrutiny multiple times a day.
Going to the dentist in Russia really is pure joy in comparison. To be sure it 'aint fun having a drill in one's mouth for an hour. But there is absolutely no lecture from the dentist. The dentist just gets to work and treats the patient with respect. There is no barrage of questions when it is impossible to answer. The best bit is that dentist's here don't commit grand larceny on their patients either.
What was the grand total of my root canal and crown the next day?  Three thousand, six hundred roubles. Is that a lot? Well, it's $120. I believe I would have been up for a couple thousand dollars in Australia.
A simple comparison of economies will let you know that the price in Australia is still crazy. One of the dentists who works at the surgery still drives a BMW four wheel drive. So the money is still good enough as a dentist here for some kind of luxuries. Even when materials are taken into account I think the dentist here is making about $30 an hour. Where as a dentist in Australia must be easily clearing $500 an hour or more. Even the out of pocket cost at a GP doctor is probably $75 for a consultation, or $300 an hour. What gives Australian dentists the right to rip people off so much? No wonder people hate going, they get a lecture and then have to cough up a couple of thousand dollars to boot. I'll always get my dental work done in Russia if I can help it. 

No comments: