"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."- St. Peter. "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." - Jesus.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

On the menu


Lamb is not very common in Russia, and usually quite hard to find. A good lamb roast is a favourite of mine, but not something I have had for a long time. This cut of meat is from Warrnambool, Victoria. (G'day Nathan). Unfortunately this is not a good cut though, it has plenty of bone and fat. We bought it at the Alpi "hypermarket", which has a bigger variety than the average supermarket. (Supermarkets are still a relatively new concept in Russia.) The question remains though: "Warrnambool, why are you sending us such poor cuts of meat?"
Lamb is apparently common in Tuva, although I did not see any steaks there. We had lamb with out Tuvan friends in Novosibirsk once, but it was boiled in a soup. I hope tonight's version is tasty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used to raise sheep when Uncle David was still at home. He was the one that kept us at it. But sheep had a way of finding a small hole in the fence and making it larger by following the leader through it.

Nathan Wilson said...

The answer from Warrnambool - Drought!

The plant is also hoping to put on another 100+ workers, many of them Chinese.

Anonymous said...

So you are busy Nothing new here for some time That's good for you and your work but not so good for news of you for us. Not even a newsletter for the misons report this sunday.Hope all is well.

Pasha said...

Hi Nathan,

sorry for the drought.

I have a rather enterprising father who spoke to Midfield. Apparently Russia requests to buy cheap cuts of mutton. Bad luck for us. I guess there just isn't high demand for juicy succulent lamb here. Another one of the things I will savour when I visit down under.

Stay tuned for news soon. My trigger finger for the camera seems to be on the blink.

Janice said...

no wonder lamb has such a bad rap in some countries. If you only ever get poor quality cuts you think that is what lamb is.... therefore the importer can buy the poor cuts and get away with it. fulfilling expectations made easier.