
One of the realities in the life of an expat sojourner is that friends will move on. I learnt this a few years ago before good friends of mine went on their home assignment in the USA and I was about to move to Canada to live. But this should never prevent deep relationships occurring. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking, "If I get to know this person to well, they will only move on and that will hurt." The trick is to remain vulnerable even though it is inevitable the good friendships will move on.
The greatest hope is that these friendships will be renewed in the future, on this earth and in our eternal home, heaven. Yesterday I said goodbye to a good friend, Matt. He has gone back to live in Wales. He may come back to Russia in the future, but that can not be certain. What is certain is that we will meet again. There is now a nice quiet retreat centre on the west coast of Wales waiting for us.
Mean while I am starting to make good friends with a Tuvan guy, Aidis. We will also say goodbye one day, but before then I hope to really encourage him in to a deeper relationship with the King.
No comments:
Post a Comment